Friday, June 3, 2011

In the shadow of our Capital.

The building representing Canada, the people and
our culture. Parliament Hill.
My trip to Ottawa yesterday was quite the change of scene from my regular routine. The drive East was much better than I had anticipated, the sun was out, there was a slight cloud coverage and almost no cars on the freeway. Aside from a few construction zones on highway 417 everything else looked absolutely beautiful. Getting to Ottawa took roughly eight hours due to stopping at Coulborg and Kingston along the way to run errands. Finding parking after entering the heart of Ottawa was quite the challenge, having construction left, right and center made the task all the more difficult. Nonetheless, as you can see from the pictures, I made it to Parliament Hill successfully! What made the day all the more pleasant was the lack of tourists - the tourists that regularly swarm the scenic capital area taking pictures, guided tours and talking obnoxiously loud were absent. Almost the entire Parliament Hill was free for the enjoyment of myself, my mother and a few other serious looking politicians. Although I had never planned to take a look inside the Capital building, I never ruled out the possibility. After asking about the guided tours offered for the inside of parliament, it was brought to my attention that yesterday was the first day of work for the new house of commons. The elections for the new speaker of the house was currently underway and all tours around the interior was cancelled. This didn't bother me too much, however, I realized that I desperately needed to get more informed about the politics of my own country.

The capital building of our nation in all its glory.
I've been to only a few capital cities in my life: Beijing China, Tokyo Japan, Washington D.C., and Ottawa Canada. The one thing that strikes me most when comparing these capital cities is how different our own capital is from the others. Both Beijing and Washington have a mini army of law enforcers and police guarding every possible exit and entrance of the capital buildings. While Tokyo, being the capital of a demilitarized nation lacks such visible law enforcement, contains a deeply ingrained culture represented in the architecture of their buildings and the legacy left behind by past emperors. All three of the previously mentioned Capital cities successfully demonstrate the prowess and global dominance of their respective nations, whether it be in military power, or their rich culture. Ottawa, the Capital city of the glorious and free nation of Canada, however, lacks either of the patriotic presence or a significant and identifiable culture. What I realized instead, was a quiet city built around the multicultural community that has come to define Canada. Perhaps what separates us from other nations is not our lack of patriotism, our lack of one specific culture, or our lack of history. But, instead, I think it's the myriad of different cultures represented in our demographics that successfully make Canada one of the greatest countries to live in. The colourful demographics seen in Canada is an effective representation of a mini globe. The different ethnic groups and cultures that define our entire country make Canada a microcosm of our world, no other nation demonstrates this effect as clearly and elegantly as Canada.

0 comments:

Post a Comment