Sunday, June 5, 2011

Overdoing things

Unbelievable day today, spent over three hours play basketball at hoop dome and was absolutely drained. My original plan was to play at hoop dome for maybe two hours, rest up, and hit up volleyball at YMCA drop in. Overestimating myself as usual, I lost track of time completely going all out on every possession leading to eventual dizziness and major headache. By the time I arrived home at 5:30 I was completed depleted of energy, to make things worse I had no appetite. I figure it must be the consequence of a prolonged period of constant sympathetic nervous system stimulation. Although I followed through with my plan to play drop in at YMCA, I felt as if my body couldn't take anymore stress. Almost every muscle group on my body was aching, from my neck muscles all the way down to the tendons in my toes. The only good result I can see from having such a reckless day is hopefully having a good night's sleep. I am hoping to be able to resume my normal circadian rhythm in the next few weeks by waking up at 7:30 AM and sleeping at 11:30 PM.

What I wish I can do everyday... play COD.
In other news, I've gone back to designing web templates once again. A task I abandoned years ago to pursue a career in "science" is slowly creeping back to me in the form of helping out a friend. In all honesty, I'm still VERY rusty compared to a few years ago, but the designs are starting to look much more professional. In addition, after completing a few templates, I feel a nice sense of accomplishment. I guess why I enjoy designing websites so much more than reading MCAT textbooks is that I can actually see the fruits of my labors come to fruition. After reading up on general chemistry or general biology I feel no sense of accomplishment. Even reading through the textbook a million times won't guarantee you a perfect score on the MCATs, and to make the pressure all the more, you have one or two maximum shots at acing the MCATs. Web designing on the other hand, can be improved upon easily, whether it be by looking at other designs for inspiration, or just learning new photoshop techniques. I say this though, knowing that the real answer is due to the lack of pressure required by web designing. There's nothing to loose if I fail at web designing where as everything is at a loss if I fail my chosen career as a science student. All in all, I think what can be learned from this ordeal is that the only thing pushing us to go forward is pressure. Without pressure we'd be so complacent in our lives with no goals or barriers to break that there would be no sense of accomplishment. In the end, what started as an upbeat blog entry turned into a depressing comparison of possible careers. At least I've established that pressure at times might seem like pain in the ass, but in the end, it is the one thing that all humans share, and the one thing that drives us to eventually do great things.

0 comments:

Post a Comment