Thursday, June 2, 2011

What doesn't kill you makes you stronger? Not always?

Suitable image descriptor of what I'm starting to feel.
A day ago, in the onslaught of the 40 degree Celsius weather I realized two important things. The first being that pain is one bittersweet blessing in disguise that most of us take for granted. Secondly, it seems that some things that fail to kill us, or in my case not even close to killing me, actually made me both mentally and physically weaker. To explain what exactly I mean, take my first example for instance. I decided to walk to the library that day in my slip on sandals, the pseudo Japanese style where there's a split between your big toes. Either the nauseating heat distracted my senses or I was hallucinating, but the sandals had caused so much blistering on the bottom of my feet that by the morning of today it had turned into a serious infection. What surprised me the most was not the intense bleeding or even the puss secreted by infection, but, it was from the lack of pain. Had I felt the pain earlier, even before I went to sleep, or better yet before I went to the gym I would probably be able to walk normally right now. In retrospect, now twelve hours after I realized the infection, it seems that this seemingly small wound caused an entire day of fatigue and restlessness. I've always believed in the saying: "What doesn't kill you makes you stronger", but in this case, I just can't imagine how it can possibly make me stronger in any sense; whether it be character building, mental strength, or physical strength. Aside from not being able to walk normally, I officially cannot work out at the gym, play volleyball, or walk to the library. Talk about killing "3" birds with one "pebble". Not only has this small injury impeded my study routine, it has effectively caused significant delay in my work out schedule possibly leading to physical incompetence in the future. Obviously this might be "slightly" exaggerated, but I just feel slightly exasperated.

Heading down to Kingston and Ottawa tomorrow for a little change of scene, maybe even a bit of a mental relaxer. Hope it will bring a turn in the tides of my unlucky fortune in the past few weeks.

0 comments:

Post a Comment