Saturday, June 11, 2011

The key to the future is knowledge of the present

Friends from my most favourite television show. Largely responsible
for the type of person I am today.
Past couple of days I've missed a few entries, mostly because I haven't had an access to my computer during the day and come home relatively late to have energy left for blogging. Bad news aside, I feel my MCAT studying is slowly pick up more pace, although still at a glacial speed, I feel slightly more sense of urgency to understand and make progress. I feel what a friend told me the other day is very true, having others around you also studying MCAT helps you to stay motivated and on par with the others. The popular saying "you are are what you eat" I think in this case can be translated to "you are what your friends make you to be". After all, growing up as a child, you're one biggest influence on the type of person you become is either your parents, or the friends you hang out with. These people are so crucial in shaping how you respond to external stimuli such as interaction with people and dealing with stress. I think personally, my parents were a huge influence on myself academically. During the later years of high school, most of my friends chose the path of a less ambitious academic career such as college or apprenticeship, however, I was among the few people I hung out with to pursue University, let alone medical school. Over the past few years I believe I've learned a lot about myself. I find that I'm the type of person who thrives off the personality of others, absorbing both their good traits and sometimes also their bad ones. I find myself having a lot more humility after University as opposed to much more temperamental and sometimes arrogance back in high school. Fortunately, I realize for me to improve as a person, I can't just force myself to become someone I'm unfamiliar with, but instead, meet different kinds of people and expose myself to every possible personality.

0 comments:

Post a Comment